Thursday 12 December 2019

Coca Cola's Supply Chain for the good of Humanity

As part of student activities conducted in my college, we have a youth fest where students from across the country participate.  The youth fest is called Atharv. I was involved in organising the fest in several ways over the past three years.

This year I was the Person-in charge of the Case Study Competition, called Imperium. For the event, I designed case studies for both the preliminary and final rounds. I'm sharing the case study used in the preliminary round. The case study is based on The Coca Cola Company and its capability to do good using its supply chain.

I got this idea while interning at an organisation called Social Alpha. Social Alpha funds and incubates start-ups that focus on social good and aren't necessarily able to raise funds in the traditional market due to the long payback periods. During that time, I came up with this idea. I thought about the idea for two months before I had the opportunity to present it in the form of a competition. For the competition, I wrote a 6-page case study which has the question in full. I have linked the case study here.

Briefly, The Coca Cola Company has the best supply chain in the world. It reaches places where tap water and electricity doesn't. In India, I've seen Coca Cola bottles in the smallest of villages, with single stores; in the hills of India; obscure rest stops, and obviously big cities.

The distribution network of Coca Cola is optimised for pushing fizzy drinks across the globe. This distribution network could be exploited for social good, especially in countries like India that face issues on several fronts, such as healthcare, sanitation, pollution, and education.

Read the case study for more details. I hope you like it! If you found the question interesting, try solving the question and send it to paaras12 [at] gmail [dot] com. Good luck!

PS. I shall continue pushing updates to the case study for some time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment